Friday, March 15, 2013

My First Sale (and other news)

Just a few days ago I opened up shop on Etsy with my cards. As I opened up all my sites to the public I felt really excited! I was feeling like finally, everyone gets to see my hard work! So as I posted a lot of links up to all my social media I was filled with anticipation. However, in the back of my mind I kept telling myself that popularity won't happen overnight- that this will be a long, hard process of trying to achieve any amount of success. So as you can imagine I was shocked to see that I made my first sale on the second day! Admittedly the purchase was made by someone I know (one of my past college professors who I haven't seen in a few years)! I was so excited to be making my first sale on the second day- and got the card packaged and in the mail this morning!

This however brought a dark cloud over my excitement: In order to mail the card I sent an envelope and the card in a cardboard photo-mailer for extra protection. I picked up the mailer at the post office for $1.50 the other day- but when we sent the card out this morning it cost about $3.50 to ship it! I was floored at the expense. We didn't go directly to the post office so maybe the place we shipped it through ripped us off- but still I am shocked at the price. The envelope was not very heavy- so for it to cost so much seems outrageous. Now looking at the cost of the envelope and the shipping- that's $4.50, plus Etsy and Paypal Fees- my profit on this first sale is pretty dismal. If I want to have any success with these cards I need to solve this shipping conundrum! I figure that I may be able to find photo mailers for slightly cheaper at an office supply store, but if the shipping is going to cost $3.50 every time I might have to increase my shipping charges. I knew I would hit a few bumps with starting this business and like I said, I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet! I do need to solve this profit problem if I want to continue to sell cards.

On the sunny side of things- I have 2 custom orders (technically I haven't started offering these on my site yet). Two people that I know contacted me about making specific cards for them- and since I was already planning on doing this for people I was very pleased to jump on the opportunity. This being said- If you have a specific occasion or need a more personalized card please contact me! I will be very happy to work with you to meet any desires you have.

To contact me visit my contact page on Everyday Hello's website!

Also don't forget to like my facebook page, and my Etsy Page via Facebook! I'd appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment