Thursday, March 7, 2013

Hello, Hard Work

When I got the idea to start this business it was very similar to my other ideas. First the thought pops into my mind, all shiny and new and exciting. Then I spend the next good bit day dreaming about this new idea and thinking of how great it could be. After the "honeymoon period" some reality usually kicks in and I decide realistically to keep the idea, shelf it, or ditch it. In this instance- I decided to keep it. I thought for sure I could open up an online shop, whip together some lovely cards, and make a few dollars. I figured there would be some hard work involved- but I did underestimate it a bit.

Over the past few weeks this little idea has really grown into an almost ready to open business. And I want you to know- it has taken a lot of hard work to get here (and it's not even open yet). There are tons or logistics and tiny details to tend to. For example learning about sales tax, pricing, and shipping costs- learning about how I can use social media to advertise- learning about how to take photos to sell- the list goes on... I have spent countless hours reading articles and studying up on how to start a small online business. Past the research stage was the actual doing stage. I needed to create an etsy shop, blog and website for my business. I built the website off of wix.com using a template but re-imagining almost all of it. I also spent a lot of time thinking and coming up with a brand for myself. I wanted to be very thorough in starting this business which is why the thinking and planning stage took a long time. Aside from creating my online presence I also needed to create the products (still in this phase- I'd like to make at least 4 more cards before opening shop).

I guess what I'm getting at is the fact that pursuing this crazy idea has been a lot of work- but also extremely fun and rewarding. I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to learning- I LOVE learning new things- and I love a good challenge. So even though I might be slightly crazy for doing this, and even though it's been more work than I expected, I am already loving it and feeling personally rewarded.

I honestly cannot wait to launch my website and my shop! I feel like a little kid with a new toy- and I can't wait to show all my best friends! I'm trying to be patient... but it's hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment